Monday, February 25, 2008

Concentration

I'm writing an essay and feeling bored of it. Question is, do I feel more bored of something when I devote less than my full attention to it? Is there a direct correlation between concentration and interest, or an inverse one? Which direction does the causation (if any) run?

It's obvious that not focusing decreases efficiency. I am beginning to think that not focusing also decreases my enjoyment. Now that the music is off and the online conversation is at a lull, concentration comes easier and I feel a bit less antsy.

Then again, now I'm writing a blog post instead of the essay.

But the fact remains: When I was focusing on the writing, I enjoyed it more. Maybe it's because I do it better when I focus, or because I have to pass some "interest threshold" to enjoy writing at all, or because...

Anyway, the essay is calling me back. I shall immerse myself in the world where "beautiful hidden things scrol[l] to the horizon" (Colson Whitehead, Apex Hides the Hurt, 35). Concentration. Sixty-four. No repeats. Or hesitations. Category is. Names.

No comments: