Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Feeling Petulant

Today's post probably belongs in a category labeled "Complaints." Or maybe "Querulousness," because that word is more fun, and it reminds me of Ms. Besse. (NOT because she was querulous, but because she really liked that word, and got really excited when it kept showing up in Ethan Frome...)

I have a cold, and a cough. I had forgotten how icky sickliness is. Somehow I always manage to forget how physical discomfort feels. In particular, I had forgotten coughing (which is not one of my usual symptoms)--how you get that trickling sensation on your throat, an itch somewhere in your breathing pipe, then germ-filled air explodes out of your mouth, blasting your throat on the way out and shaking your body. Blargh.

I drank at least 5 cups of tea today, and now I'm popping menthol cough drops. These have oozing honey-centers, which make for a rather odd juxtaposition of flavors and textures (menthol/mint/fresh/cold/hard/crunchy vs. sweet/soft/gooey/comforting/warm). After a few minutes of attempting to let the thing "dissolve under the tongue," I end up giving way and crunching it against the roof of my mouth, so the amber-colored, menthol-flavored encasing cracks and the honey oozes out... Sadly, it then runs out before the rest of the menthol-ness does, leaving my tongue rather forlorn. I am not all that fond of mint. They should make chocolate cough drops. (Kidding, kidding.)

On a completely unrelated note--The Canada geese were wandering through the woods I pass through on my way to class today. They are rather oddly proportioned. I think it would be interesting to have a neck that long and flexible. Imagine being able to curve your neck so it lies along your spine, and still have enough left to double it back and lay your chin basically on your chest. Also, imagine having over half your height be from your neck.

(Sheri: I did not walk around pretending to be a goose, if you were wondering. Hehe.)

No comments: