Monday, January 12, 2009

Waiting

Loneliness is wanting to talk to you but not getting to...

I can fast from food, the thing my body depends on for its very survival, and barely feel it. I am fasting from you, in a way, but I can't escape your absence. It follows me like a persistent dog, like a melody stuck in my head. I don't need you, really. Life comes from Someone Else. But your absence is its own presence, appearing around unexpected corners. I open a book, read and read, turn another page--and you are there, suddenly, looming out of the print. I put in a CD, and sign along--and suddenly the singer's voice is yours. I go about my life, seeing you in the distance, fading into the horizon.

But I will remember to see through you, and even through your absence. I will see into the Presence, to the fullness of Him who fills all things in all ways. Lord, I will be still and know You are God.

No comments: