Friday, September 12, 2008

Community

Question of the semester: What does it mean, in practice, for a particular group to be my primary community?

Does it mean I spend more time with that group of people? Does it mean I am most emotionally invested in that group of people? Does it mean I turn to those people for advice and comfort when things go wrong? Does it mean those are the people I start missing first?

In "The Devil Wears Prada," the neglected boyfriend says, "The person you're in a relationship with is the one whose calls you always take." Are the people who are my community the ones whose calls I always take? the ones whose company I seek out in favor of others'?

If Christians are supposed to be my primary community, what happens to the people that I naturally gravitate towards spending most time with and confiding in most? I'm certainly not going to ditch them. What do I have to do to live out my priorities? (and what are those priorities, anyway?)

[Advice and answers are welcome.]

No comments: