Friday, February 29, 2008

C.S. Lewis: Universally Applicable

I've been reading The Screwtape Letters with a discussion group. I was impressed from the very beginning with the book's creative premise (letters of advice from a senior to a junior demon), its wit, and its perspicacity. Every chapter seemed to strike home in some area. But I've only recently been realizing the degree to which Lewis's insights, delivered via Screwtape, have stuck with me. In particular: it was several months ago that we read a chapter dealing with the impact of humans' physical bodies on their emotional and spiritual state, but its point--that humans drastically underestimate the impact their physical state has on their mood--has been echoing in my mind ever since. To be still more particular: I am (still) extremely sick, and it is doubtless because of that entirely physical malady that I keep feeling like the world is a dreadful place that I would rather not bother being part of...

But "why are you so downcast, o my soul? I will yet praise Him, my Savior, my King."

I just hope that being so ill doesn't have too adverse an effect on my coding ability (midterm in an hour). Yick.

No comments: